Constituency #6 – Newton Ground to Harrises
VISIONARY, VIGILANT, VALIANT
Humble, Selfless Service
Dr. the Rt. Hon. Denzil Llewellyn Douglas is one of the most accomplished and distinguished statesmen to have served as Prime Minister within the Caribbean Region. Sworn in as the Second Prime Minister of the Federation of St. Kitts and Nevis immediately following the St. Kitts-Nevis Labour Party’s impressive election victory in July 1995, Dr. Douglas has made history by being the first Caribbean Leader to have served four consecutive terms in the highest office of his country as Prime Minister.
The Rt. Honourable Dr. Denzil Douglas, affectionately known as “Dougie”, has an unblemished record of service to the people of St. Kitts and Nevis and with his unique brand of leadership has tirelessly provided progressive contributions to his country, the Caribbean region and the world. He presently serves as Leader of the Her Majesty’s Loyal Opposition of the Federation of St. Christopher and Nevis, however, as Prime Minister, Dr. Douglas and his administration has been responsible for taking St. Kitts and Nevis from a position of backwardness and insignificance to the number one economy within the OECS region by 2014.
Under the steady and capable leadership of Dr. Douglas and the astute and innovative policies of the former Labour administration, St. Kitts and Nevis was able to achieve dramatic social and economic transformation and modernization that took the people of St. Kitts and Nevis to unprecedented levels of prosperity and improved standards of living.
Such innovative policies included:
- The rebranding of the Citizenship by Investment programme into a platinum, global brand;
- The pioneering of a second Housing and Education Revolution;
- Transformation of the Tourism industry through increased airlift and construction of new hotels;
- Fiscal consolidation that resulted in the national debt being slashed in half from 189% of GDP to 78% of GDP;
- The return of the economy to robust growth of 7% for 2013 and 2014 and being the first country within the Caribbean to recover from the impacts of the global economic and financial crisis in just three years.
During his twenty years in office, Dr. Douglas served as the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) spokesperson on HIV/AIDS, Non-Communicable Diseases (NCDs) and other health related matters in the CARICOM quasi-Cabinet. He also played an active leadership role in many regional and international organisations such as:
- Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS)
- Eastern Caribbean Central Bank (ECCB)
- Caribbean Community (CARICOM)
- Caribbean Development Bank (CDB)
- Association of Caribbean States (ACS)
- Organisation of American States (OAS)
- International Monetary Fund (IMF)
- World Bank
- United Nations
- Small States Forum of the World Bank
Dr. Douglas is a founding member of the Clinton Global Initiative (CGI). Along with being praised by former United States Presidents George H.W. Bush and Robert “Bill” Clinton for his leadership role in the fight against HIV/AIDS, he was also the recipient of many regional and international awards including but not limited to:
- The Ghandi-King-Ikeda Peace Award
- The “Legacy Award” from the American Foundation of the University of the West Indies in New York;
- The Order of Brilliant Star with Special Grand Cordon from the Republic of China on Taiwan
- The Order of the Liberator (First Class) from the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela;
- The Global Award at the 15th Annual Trumpet Awards at the Bellagio, Las Vegas, Nevada.
- The 2013 South-South Award for Renewable Energy Innovation and Information Communication Technology.
Dr. Douglas has served the people of Newton Ground, St. Paul’s, Parson’s Village, Lynches, Pogson, Saddlers and Harris’ with dedication and commitment. Once given a fresh mandate from the people of Constituency #6 Dr. Douglas will provide transitional leadership to the NextGen SKN team of representatives to take St. Kitts and Nevis to new heights of peace, progress and prosperity.