May 31, 2020
On Saturday May 30, 2020, the NextGen SKN Manifesto 2020 went viral across the Federation when the Manifesto App was launched at midday. Thousands of voters, well-wishers and supporters have welcomed the fresh and innovative outlook of the “NextGen Agenda for Prosperity and Good Governance” and are looking forward with excitement to the opportunities and relief that it will bring under a new Labour administration.
In his message to the electorate, Dr. Denzil Douglas, Political Leader of the Labour Part said that the Party wisely used its time out of government for “active listening, sober reflection and, conscious learning” in order to ensure that its platform is reflective of the dreams, hopes and aspirations of the people as well as their expectations of their leaders.
As result of its consultative approach, the Labour Party has the plans and policies that will tackle and overcome the challenges that the nation will face in adjusting to the imperatives of the Post-COVID-19 environment, in every area and in every sector. Job creation, and bringing relief and assistance to the thousands who have become unemployed as well as our struggling small businesses are central to the NextGen “Code Red: Operation Now” policies.
Highlights of the NextGen SKN Manifesto 2020 include:
- Covenant of Hope and Transformative Impact that commits the Party to delivering bold, innovative and responsive government that puts people first and that is results-oriented.
- Creating thousands of jobs by expanding the enclave manufacturing sector, diversifying our tourism product and attracting direct investment with a focus on Diaspora engagement.
- Economic diversification into Creative Industries, Health and Wellness Tourism and Plant Therapy/Medicinal Cannabis Industry.
- Building over 2,000 low income homes with thousands more in subsidized mixed-housing solutions with upgraded amenities.
- Abolition of tuition fees for the Clarence Fitzroy Bryant College.
- Constructing a brand new Joseph N. France General Hospital.
- Duty-Free Concessions and Tax relief for Small Business as part of a “Start from Zero” package.
- Reduction of the VAT from 17% to 13% plus 3 VAT reduction Days.
- Duty-Free Vehicle for all citizens over the age of 18 once in their lifetime.
- Housing Allowance for essential service providers such as nurses, police, Defense Force corps, Firemen/women.
Voters are responding in a positive way to Labour’s plans and policies and continue to express confidence that the NextGen SKN Labour Party is the only party that has the experience and skills to restore the economy in the wake of the COVID-19 Coronavirus pandemic and make St. Kitts-Nevis “Number One” again.